Electropolishing of nitinol wire

I am encountering a surface defect related problem in some nitinol wire that I have been able to plate with first a gold strike and then platinum. I believe the plating is not the source of the problem.

I would like to try electropolishing to remove the burrs and scratches and sharp points from the wires cut end. What I need are the current/voltage settings and the bath solutions make up. I hope that this is an easy enough process to add because this is something that will have to be done in house. I have a voltage and current controllable power supply and can make up most solutions here.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Larry Jansen
iSense co. - Portland, Oregon

Monel can be electropolished with phosphoric-sulfuric-hydrochloric type bath, US Patent 2,440,715, Battelle Development Corporation.

Nichrome can be electropolished in methyl alcohol-nitric as given in Durney's Electroplating Engineering Handbook. A literature review may turn up more.

tom pullizzi monitor
Tom Pullizzi
Falls Township,
   Pennsylvania