Painting of zinc plated parts

I have a selection of angle girders perforated strips and plates (meccano parts} that are zinc plated. I want to paint these items with red and green from a spray can and then bake them in an oven to harden. I would like to know how to remove the zinc plating so that I go back to the bare metal or whether it is possible to just spray over the zinc plating.

Brian William Henley
- Auckland, New Zealand

I have the same problem as Cameron Parle and Brian William Henley. I have zinc plated Meccano parts from 1972 and would like to refinish these in an authentic but non corroding manner. Ideally, I would like to find out how to strip off the zinc and re-plate with nickel or, otherwise, to just re-do the zinc. I don't have access to any of the follow-ups they received but would appreciate knowing what they were able to find out.

Richard Leveson
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada