Refinishing cast iron hand pump--coating

I'm looking for advice on what sort of finish I should use on my cast iron hand pump (at my cabin's kitchen sink.)

Four years ago I re-did the old thing by hand sanding it down to remove all rust and the former paint job, and then just painted on a Rustoleum brand high gloss metal paint. Didn't prime it, as Rustoleum didn't require that.

Rust is coming through again, though. I'm a bit lost as to what is available-- is there a type of product I can use myself that will last longer? Is it 'food grade'? Or should I have some sort of ceramic/baked on finish done? What sort of shop would do something like this? auto paint shop or a ceramic craftsperson?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you!

Patrice Bee
- Okanogan, Washington

(2006)

I have seen some beautiful work done on parts of a sailboat by a local 'powder coating' company. I'm not real sure of how it's done but I believe it would be worth looking into for your pump. Even though it is called 'powder', the finish comes out a a super tough painted looking finish. - Good Luck!

Robert Cowan
- Pensacola, Florida

(2006)

Powder coating, in simplest terms, consists of charging the part with static electricity, and then spraying plastic onto it as a very fine powder. Then the part is baked in a oven whereby the plastic flows into a liquid that covers the part. When it cools, the part has been coated. It is considered an environmentally friendly process because it achieves pretty much the same thing as painting without requiring any solvents.