HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedAdvertizeForum

History of electroplating sterling jewelry with rhodium

(2001)

Q. I have a piece of sterling jewelry that I believe has been electroplated with rhodium. It is very white looking, just like platinum. Despite the fact that is LOOKS new because of the lack of tarnish, I believe, from the design, that it may be vintage.

Would someone tell me the history of the rhodium-plating process? When was it first used? If it is a very new process, that would seem to negate my theory that this piece is vintage.

Rosalie I [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Illinois, USA

(2001)

A. Rhodium plating on silverware is not new . The process of using rhodium plating commercially became more common in the early 1930's. Some of the first applications were for cigarette lighters and writing instruments. Notably the Ronson Lighter Company produced many Art Deco Style products in the late 1930's.

Rhodium is hard as nails and looks similar to chrome in appearance. It reflects about 75-80% of incidental light (silver 95%) and is virtually tarnish proof in non-porous thicknesses as little as .75 microns. It has been used on silverware as early as 1932 maybe earlier in custom sets. It provides a durable and hard finish for silver, thus preventing constant cleaning and polishing. Typical thicknesses for rhodium plated silverware of exceptional quality were between 2-3 microns. By WW2 rhodium and other platinum metals were designated as strategic metals and were not used widely for commercial applications until the early 1950's.

Rhodium plating is used widely on silver jewelry and chains and as a plated surface "enhancer" to make white gold settings appear whiter, if only temporarily. It is only a guess but, your silverware could be from at least the mid 30's.

Hope this helps!

David Vinson
Metal Arts Specialties - Leonard, Michigan

(2001)

thumbs up sign David, thanks, so much, for your detailed and informative reply. I would have written privately, but the board does not show e-mail addresses.

- Illinois, USA

Thanks David, terrific response!

Rosalie, the board is for camaraderie, technical info, and public discussion -- not private discussion. It is made possible for us all by supporting advertisers. It is a struggle to find companies which will support such a forum; apologies, but unfortunately it would simply be impossible if we spent their money putting the potential customers into private contact with their competitors who don't support the site. Sorry.

Rhodium plating a filigreed ring

Q. In re. to rhodium plating...
The piece of jewelry is delicate and filagreed. Can they plate that kind of jewelry? I believe this piece goes back to before 1930's.

Mary-Louise Johnson
- Houston Texas

A. Hi Mary-Louise. Rhodium can be tampon plated, sort of like painting with an electrified brush, or by dipping/immersing into a vat of plating solution. The plating is only millionths of an inch thick, and the filigrees are probably not a problem for dip plating.

However, the solution can damage pearls and certain types of stones. Most jewelers are probably familiar with rhodium plating, and either able to do it in a back room or to send it out to a plating shop.

When was silver jewelry first rhodium plated?

Q. I was curious when sterling silver was first Rhodium plated especially in America. Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me! Sincerely,

Jefferson Rogers
Buyer - Frankfort, Kentucky USA

Hi Jefferson. Please tell us in what way David Vinson's reply was not responsive to your question, and what motivates your curiosity. Thanks!

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If your question seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

Jobshops  Capital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & ConsumablesConsult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices