Ultrasonic and air bubble in plating bath

I want to reduce the non-plating problem caused by air or hydrogen bubble in nickel plating bath for PCB.

My Question is:

1. Is ultrasonic effective to separate bubble from the metal surface?

2. Can in affect any property of plated metal layer?

Sang Hyun Jeon
- Osan, Korea

I don't think you want ultrasonics (it actually creates bubbles). Try adding a surfactant to the bath; you can probably purchase it from your nickel bath supplier.

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida

The answer is yes to both. The bubble gets broken down by the ultrasonic and increases plating speed substantially. The coating is much harder (I haven't measured it so I can't commit).

This may aggravate the problem actually for your PCBs with faster edge build up on your holes. I have used Reverse pulse plating to great advantage and I would say that is the way to go.

Khozem Vahaanwala
Khozem Vahaanwala
Saify Ind supporting advertiser
Bangalore, Karnataka, India

saify logo