Coating/restoring mag wheels

A discussion started in 1996 and continuing through 2019

1996

Q. I have a set of real magnesium wheels produced by a company called Halibrand. When they are polished they look better than chrome/aluminum.

The problem I am experiencing is that "you just have to look at them" and they start to fade and oxidize. At first it was fun using metal polish to return them to their lustrous state but that soon wore off. I subsequently got into a business selling buffs and compounds as I found these worked faster albeit the wheels had to be removed from the car.

My question: Is there some kind of clear-coating process that will withstand the elements but not "dull the shine" of the wheels? Lacquer does not stand up. I have a friend who has a powder coating company so if heat was involved I have access to that technology. The clears he normally uses he is afraid of applying as they tend to dull aluminum and would be hard to remove if a successful shine were not achieved.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. - Bert

Bert B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]

2003

Q. Advice on restoring and polishing Mag Wheels?

Hi actually I do not have a bike, but a 73 Plymouth Roadrunner. Mopars are as timeless as a bike! I have some deep dish mag wheels Ansens 15x10 they are very dull and have blemishes scratches, etc. I have read the VERY useful advice from the folks here (some smart ones I might add). I guess the procedure would be about the same but advise on sanding how to wet or dry ? And polishing till the black is gone?

Thanks for the post,

Robert M Foster
- Marshall, Texas

Engineer To Win

A. Real magnesium wheels are no longer produced in great numbers for the reason stated. Most mag wheels still in existence are on early street rods or nostalgia race cars seeing limited use. They have always been a high maintenance item with most early race teams letting the wheels return to their natural dark grey state after giving up on the tedious polishing.

A two-component urethane coating would likely hold up fairly well with a reasonably good appearance; however, I have leaned toward the use of a good quality lacquer for several reasons. While this coating will not hold up as long, it will look much better at thin films, can be easily waxed with auto wax, and ultimately can be easily stripped off with lacquer thinner when the time comes for the inevitable re restoration several years later. A final thought is to be very careful when power buffing magnesium. Very few shops are set up properly to avoid the potential fire hazards when magnesium dust is present. Good luck!

Bob Anderson
Corporate Marketing Manager - Indiana

To minimize your searching efforts and to offer multiple viewpoints, we've combined some threads into the dialog you're viewing. Please forgive any resultant repetition or failures of chronological order.

2002

Q. Does anyone have an idea on how to remove the corrosion from a magnesium motorcycle case and leave it bright? I am restoring an old BMW and the case halves are sandcast which is rather rough so it is hard to polish and very time consuming. I've used naval jelly on the aluminum which works fine but it won't touch the magnesium -- actually makes it worse. Any suggestions?

Dan Logan
- Portland, Oregon, USA

2002

A. Magnesium is very difficult to keep bright as you'll read above, which is why real mag wheels are rarely sold anymore (today's wheels are usually cast aluminum even if still called 'mag wheels'). Despite being difficult to polish, I think Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] is probably the best approach. Best of luck.

2002 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I RECENTLY PURCHASED A DATSUN 280-Z IT HAS A SET OF CROMADORA MAGNESIUM WHEELS. THEY HAVE BEEN PAINTED, WHICH IS FLAKING OFF. WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE TO POLISH THEM SO THEY WILL LOOK NEW AGAIN. IS THERE SOME SPECIAL MATERIAL TO USE ON A BUFFER?

Steve E [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Osceola, Nebraska

2002

A. Steve,

Quite a few people ask similar questions about aluminum and mag wheels.

Anyhow, I phoned up the local experts in Surrey.

They remove paint with paint remover BUT often use the Aircraft Stripper [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] because often the paints (on good rims) are painted using a 2-component polyurethane paint.

They also shot peen if necessary. Then they apply a 2-component Polyurethane paint over the finished rims. They did it for us on a 7 year old car which showed signs of salt attack. Superb job.

Anti-corrosion Treatments for Magnesium Wheels

Q. I would like to know which is the best system for corrosive protection of magnesium die - cast wheels and for the final coating of them. I know the impregnation system with thermosetting methacrylate.

I was browsing to search for information related to: Surface treatment for magnesium (I remember an old publication of W.P. Innes, and I got this address.

Thanking in advance

Leonardo Z [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]

2001 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I have some old Halibrand automobile wheels I would like to restore the original Dow 7 finish on. They are cast from AZ 91 alloy. They are in excellent condition with minor corrosion. Please HELP !

P.S. They are for a Cobra car project.

Eddie Wilbanks
- Eads, Tennessee

2006 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I am looking for the specifics of restoring various race car parts. I need to know the cleaning process for the magnesium, as well as the dichromating sealer to go on the cleaned magnesium. Any help greatly appreciated.

Vaughn Bright
plating shop - Virden, Illinois, USA

Magnesium Finishing

A. Hello Leonardo, Eddie, Vaughn --

Please see our quite comprehensive on-line article: "Finishing of Magnesium" by Tom Pullizzi which includes the needed info on the Dow #7 process / dichromating sealer, as well as letter 14207, "Dow #7 / Dichromate treatment".

If possible, also try to find a copy of Dow's "Magnesium Finishing" booklet =>

You may also want to see our "Introduction to Chrome Plating" if chrome plating is one of the options you want to consider. Good luck.

I have real mags that are a nightmare

2004

Q. I own a 1929 Ford roadster that has american racing turbo thrust 5-spoke wheels that are real mag. These have been on the car since the late 50's and a real polish problem that takes hours to clean/polish. My son-in-law said I need to have them pickled. Is this some thing I can do, if so what is required? ANY HELP WOULD MAKE MY DAY. Thank you.

Gary Willey
- Tigard, OR, USA

2004

A. The problem is that magnesium is highly reactive and acid dipping (pickling) will not make it less so. You would need to either clearcoat or lacquer the wheels, and neither is a permanent solution unfortunately.

Need a shop to service my mag wheels

2004

RFQ: Need to know of a local shop in northwest Indiana or southwest Michigan that can polish and chrome a set of Harley stock mag wheels.

Sam Reihl
hobbyist - South Bend, Indiana, USA
outdated

2006

RFQ: I also have a pair of Halibrand magnesium 12-spoke spindle-mount wheels in need of corrosion protection. Is there a company that will, at some reasonable cost, apply a protective coating for the individual consumer such as myself for such a low-volume application?
Coating should maintain the color close to the natural color.
Thanks - Lonnie

Lonnie C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Great Falls, South Carolina
outdated

----
Ed. note: Current RFQs for finishing services are now maintained on our "Looking for a Finishing Service" page rather than being scattered across outdated threads.

The History of Mag Wheels

2001

Q. Do you know where I can get student info on the history of magnesium wheels?

Kellie Argy
- LA, California

2001

Kellie,

A. A very interesting question! Perhaps pick up a copy of a magazine for performance cars, i.e. , "Hot Rod Magazine" [link is to product info at Amazon]. Many ads for magnesium wheels. Many manufacturers of this type. Contact them all.

Another thing would be to search the web with "magnesium wheels", see what turns up. Good luck!

Bill Hemp
tech svc. w/ chemical supplier - Grand Rapids, Michigan

2001

A. I found this question in my ongoing search for a good way to protect my 16 x 13 Halibrand magnesium wheels. I've written some small articles that deal with the history of Halibrand Engineering and American Racing Equipment magnesium racing wheels. While far from being the definitive text on the subject, it's a start, http://roadsters.com/wheels/#Halibrand

Dave Mann
- Portland, Oregon

thumbs up signThanks for the link, Dave -- excellent article!

Can real mag wheels be chrome plated?

0003-1a   0003-1b

Q. I have a set of 15 inch x 4 inch American Racing magnesium 12 spoke rims. As anyone knows with these rims, the polishing required to keep them shined is a full time job. Has anyone had success or experience chroming or nickel plating them? Thank you.

Pacers Auto
Scott Snizek
Pacers Auto, Inc - West Hempstead New York USA

A. Yes, magnesium can be chrome plated. It may take some effort to find a shop which does that as the demand must be very small.

I can't say for certain, but the highly reflective wheels in your second photo, I'd wager are highly polished and buffed magnesium and are not chrome plated. They may have a clear lacquer coat to keep them shiny longer.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina

thumbs up sign Yes the wheels in the second photo were highly polished and would stay like that as long as they were attended to with Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] or White Diamond Polish [linked by editor to info on Amazon].

I also had success with a product called Sharkhide [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] which is used as sealant coat for aluminum pontoon boats. But to be fully sealed the wheels would have to be polished then fully sprayed with sharkhide so no areas were left exposed. That means the wheels need to be unmounted. The coating acts as a clear sealant and a buffer to the environment. I did a test on a polished magnesium timing plate starting from a gray color and after polishing and sealing, it was left untouched in the environment for a month. It was rained on it plenty of times. The uncoated portion grayed up and the rest remained polished. It also is removable with thinner.

Scott Snizek [returning]
Pacers Auto, Inc - West Hempstead, New York USA