Which alloy can I use for nitriding crucible?

(2001)

I am nitriding H13 tool steel by salt bath (liquid) nitriding. I am using titanium crucible for this process, but it is very expensive. What kind of alloy can I use for a long time? Is 316 Ti stainless steel usable?

ErdoĦan Beng
- Sakarya, TURKEY

(2001)

Type 310 would be much better than 316Ti. That's if you are having your crucibles fabricated. If you are having them made as castings, HK30 would be a good alloy to specify (it is a casting version of the wrought type 310).

Bill Reynolds
Bill Reynolds
   consultant metallurgist
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
We sadly relate the news that Bill passed away on Jan. 29, 2010.