Painting Aluminum Bicycle Frame

(2001)

I have an aluminum frame bicycle that I would like to paint a different color. Although I think there is a protective coat over the original paint job and I am not sure the paint will stick to it, or ruin the bikes look. What should I do to prepare the bike for painting and what kind of paint should I use?

I hope I can get some help.

Sean Kloczkowski
- Cumberland, Rhode Island, USA

(2002)

The question is; what did you finally do about the old paint. Did you use a solvent or did you sand it?

Robert Allen
- Boulder, Colorado

(2002)

See this link: www.mindspring.com/~d.g1/paint.htm [Ed. note: that link is now broken]

Rony Deangelis
- Wakefield, Rhode Island

Hi, Robert. Waxes, oil, and general dirt will wreck paint adhesion, but I don't think a clear coat will. Maybe try wiping with Acetone [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], then washing with detergent, then a quick light sanding of whatever is easily accessible. Good luck.