Plating a Titleist putter black

(2001)

I am looking to plate a piece of low carbon steel with a black shiny finish. This is for a putter head. I want it to look similar to the Titleist putters. Can you tell me the best process and the cost to do this to a piece about 1 X 2 X 4.

John Heath
- Windsor

Hi, John. The best choice might be black chrome plating. It's reasonably hard and reasonably durable, and very attractive. Electroplating an individual item (as opposed to the automated plating of hundreds at a time as the manufacturer would do) is quite labor intensive and there is a lot of hand work before it's ready, so it's hard to imagine it taking less than an hour to an hour and a half. Figure what your local mechanic or plumber would charge for that much time and you should be in the ballpark.

In many cases you'll find that replating an old object costs more than buying a new one. So replating is generally restricted to rather valuable items, heirlooms that you cherish, and items that aren't easily replaceable like old plumbing fixtures or door fixtures that are different than today's dimensions.

I don't want to discourage you from getting your putter plated if you wish; I hope you do. I'd just like you to understand that shops aren't trying to rob you when you see the plating costing more than a replacement, they just find it necessary to charge similar hourly rates to other tradespeople. Good luck!