a Website for Serious Education ...
plus the most FUN you can have in metal finishing.

HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedAdvertizeForum

PVC Joining Solution

(2001)

I am interested in manufacturing PVC pipe joining solution. Please suggest a good formulation. I will be grateful. These pipes are used in area chemically corrsive as well as water medium.

Mala [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Pondicherry, Tamilnadu, India

First of two simultaneous responses (2001)

Mala,

As far as I know there is only ONE successful cement for PVC and that is THF or tetrahydrafurane.

Many years ago people did try acetone and other aromatic hydrocarbons but then Dupont came out with THF and that's what everyone now uses.

It has the property of gap filling (but only for very fine 'gaps' such as between a pipe & a fitting.) Cementing is an art. One has to 'prime' the pipe and fitting before the actual cementing in order to remove any release agents, finger marks, oil, etc.

Any reputable supplier of the 'varied' PVC cements should be able to give this data. What they might well leave out is that cemented fittings sometimes need to be backwelded when strong acids are used, ie. commercial sulphuric.

Cheers.

Second of two simultaneous responses (2001)

You will actually find the formulations right on the web as M.S.D.S. sheets for the cleaners and adhesives. That is not to say that you might not be violating a patent if you mixed it yourself.

(2001)

Mala,

As the Doyen of the finishing.com said, you sure can find a fair bit of information by 'searching' the web on the M.S.D.S. sheets.

I doubt if you could 'make it' yourself! Even if you did, there are different formulations for PVC cements ... for humid conditions, for cold temperature applications, for heavy duty use, for intercementing to other plastics, etcetera. You sure won't find that data on the web and no manufacturer will give you that data either, why should they? ... but as far as violating a patent, I'm sure that any patent would have expired decades ago!

Try Redox chemicals for a full description ... but why THF is not listed under Dupont I don't know. Dupont made THF back in the early 60's.

Freeman Newton

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If your question seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

Jobshops  Capital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & ConsumablesConsult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices