Friction Coefficients for Stainless Steel 304

(2001)

I am currently conducting a study that would compare the mechanical properties of stainless steel 304 with platinum. My research is missing some properties that I feel are critical to my trade study. Can you please provide the static and kinetic coefficients of friction for stainless steel 304 when in contact with itself.

Guerera [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Santa Barba, California, USA

(2002)

I would also like to know the coeficient of static friction of 304 stainless steel on stainless steel.

Jim Nostedt
- Winnipeg, MB, Canada

(2003)

An approximate value is about 0.15 I determined this by measuring the maximum surface angle at which a piece of 304 could sit on another before beginning to slide. The friction coefficient is equal to the tangent of this angle.

Jonathan Castle
metal detectors - Los Banos, California, USA