Techniques for Patination of mirror glass

(2001)

I have seen mirrors at antique and craft shows that have been newly antiqued.The effect looks like a chemical has been brushed on to remove small quantities of the silvering and then back painted, or the silver has blued. Another mirror had patches of orange, browns and purples.

So far I have tried, hydrochloric acid, vinegar, photographic black and white chemicals, and sand blasting!

Any other suggestions? Is the mirror really silver or are they now aluminium. If so what other approaches could I try?

Richard Shrives
- Harvard, Massachusetts

(2006)

I am new to the discussion. I too am interested in "home" techniques to achieve patination or water marking on modern mirror glass.

I have a wall of modern mirror plate glass. I would like to give them an antique or water-marked effect. Can you tell me what metal the modern mirror backing is and any techniques for "aging" the mirror backing?

Any thoughts?

Ron Gerbrandt
- Thornton, Colorado, USA