Galvanic Action Question

(2001)

I was wondering if you could answer a question related to galvanic action. I have an aluminum boat and am planning to mount some downriggers. I had to reinforce the mounting area so I bolted a 5" x 14" piece of steel plate to the underside of the aluminum where the downriggers will be mounted. Do you think I need to be concerned about galvanic corrosion occurring between the two metals? The steel plate was painted and is mounted inside the hull so it is not exposed to water.

John Jacob Doro
- Bremerton, Washington, USA

(2001)

I would not expect a substantial problem from this, I don't think, in view of the facts that the parts are not immersed, the surface area of the steel is presumably far less than the surface area of the aluminum, and the steel is painted. But there is obviously a galvanic path and galvanic potential, so ideally there should not be a metal to metal connection . Ted Mooney, finishing.com Teds signature