23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Polishing Heavily Oxidized Aluminum

(2001)

I have an aluminum dump body on my dump truck that has suffered over 15 years of acid washing. I want to remove the heavy oxidation build up and return it to a high polished shine. Is wet sanding recommended and what grit sandpaper should I start with? If wet sanding is recommended should it be done with an electric sander or by hand? Would it be a good idea to attempt buffing it out with a red polishing bar and a yellow polishing wheel?

This is a major effort and I would appreciate any help that can be given.

Donna Ennis
- Eden, Maryland, USA