Post your own question ...
or benefit from 30 years of feedback on 60,000 finishing topics.
Search the site

Cadmium Plating Touch-up

2001

Q. Is there an easy method of touching up scratches/abrasions to electrical connectors that have an olive drab cadmium plating? The connectors are connected to cables, so they will require touch-up with a brush if possible.

Mike Kvam
electronics - Ronan, Montana, USA

2001

A. Hello Mike,

Brush electroplating has long been used to repair cadmium plating that has been worn or scratched off the surface of a metal component. Brush electroplating is a selective, portable process that will allow the operator to deposit metals such as cadmium directly on a damaged area.

The only problem that may arise is with the chromate coating. While olive drab chromate coatings can be applied to the cadmium plated area, the color of the newly chromated area may not be a perfect match with the existing coating color. The new deposit will meet functionality requirements but may fall a bit short on the cosmetic end if an exact match is required.

Chris Helwig
- Valencia, California, USA

2005

Q. I am looking for a touch up for Cad plating, I currently have connectors plated Cadmium per AMSQQP416 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] Type II Class 3, during our production process, the Cad is sometimes removed and needs to be touched up. I have tried a Alodine 1132 pen, and it will not adhere to the Cadmium surface, is there any other solution?

Howard Ingersoll
OEM of Connectors - Georgetown, Texas

2005

A. Try Sifco SPS 5070 LHE Cadmium Brush Plating solution.

Frank Dunleavy
Aerospace - Dublin, Ireland

To minimize search efforts and to offer multiple viewpoints, we combined previously separate threads onto this page. Please forgive any resultant repetition, failures of chronological order, or what may look like readers disrespecting previous responses -- those other responses may not have been on the page at the time :-)

Touching up chromate coating on Cad plate per AMSQQP416

2007

I work for a company that specializes in aluminium aerospace manufacturing, and we have an in house plating line for chromate conversion coating an anodizing of aluminum, as well as a few other applications such as passivation and titanium pre-penetrant etch. We send out to an outside vendor Cadmium plating to AMSQQP416 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] type II. Occasionally the surface of the Cad plate will get lightly scratched by handling or during assembly. The damage is only to the surface of the Cad and does not penetrate to the base material. Is there a generic process using sodium chromate, chromic acid, or some combination to touch up the chromate treatment that I could do here? Would it require a hydrogen embrittlement bake?

Corey Judd
Plating shop employee - Cedar City, Utah, USA

2007

KISS it! Ask your cadmium vendor to give you a 1/2 pint of proprietary chromate solution for cadmium mixed up at 2X strength with the pH adjusted. Swab on with a Q-tip until the color matches, wipe off with wet rag.

probertbanner

Cadmium brush plating -- Is it allowed on Mil Spec Cad plating?

My name is Shmuel Yankelewitz, and our company ran into a very unique problem recently. We built a Printed Circuit Board for a Military Prime. The board has 4 Military connectors with Cad plating and chromium seal. The plating got corroded (white powder that was analyzed and found to be Cadmium Oxide, When the dust settled we saw specks of bare metal 0.060" dia in a few areas of the connectors and we thought that brush plating can save this very expensive boards. Replacing the connectors is an option with questionable yield. If there is a Mil Spec that allows touch up of Cad plating we can present that to our customer as a better repair option, so after this long background here is my question:

Is Cadmium Brush Plate touch up allowed on Mil Spec. plated parts? If yes, can you tell me what Mil Spec document invokes this plating repair method.

Shmuel Yankelewitz
Customer - Norristown, Pennsylvania USA

A. The first thing to do is check that your military customer will allow the touch up of the cadmium. If the answer is yes then you can call up MIL-STD-865.

Brian Terry
Aerospace - Yeovil, Somerset, UK

A. I have done it and it is absolutely no fun. The texture of the plate is different, so it shows and the chromate will be a different color, so it really shows up.

November 18, 2010 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

How can you repair a scratch on cadmium plated part that is an aluminum bronze alloy. Can I brush apply Iridite 80 or use the Iridite 14-2 brush on kit. The part is all clean and painted. Just need to touch up a scratch.

Diana Bevacqua
employee - Chatsworth, California

Q. We have some cadmium plated 1200 MPa screws which are of longer length. We want to cut them as per required length and use them. If we go for re-plating then there is a increase in risk of hydrogen embrittlement. If we go for paint, the DFT will be high and the nut may jam. What is the protective coating to be given to the cut face to have similar life as Cadmium plating.

mukesh agrawal
- Hyderabad, Telangana, India

A. Hi Mukesh. We don't know the application, the spec, or why cadmium plated fasteners are being used ... but you almost surely cannot apply some different type of plating to the cut face without risk of galvanic corrosion, although you could perhaps paint the face without being involved in the threaded area.

If you cannot find fasteners of the right length, the best thing would probably be to send them out for stripping, re-plating, re-baking, and re-chromating though. But for a non-critical application, just leaving the cut face bare might suffice (the cadmium plating will offer some degree of galvanic protection.)

If you read between the lines of Howard I's inquiry and Frank D's reply, you will understand that attempting to chromate bare steel doesn't work. Good luck.

Q. Thank you for your prompt reply. As you have mentioned, I have already read about SIFCO Cadmium LHE - 5070 Touchup Travel Kit. But the quantity of fasteners are huge and this touch up procedure is laborious. Moreover, I forgot to mention that Cd8 plating is given for corrosion protection of low alloy steel fastener material and also for galvanic corrosion protection of mating Aluminum alloy component. How about using the touch up pens. Please comment.

mukesh agrawal
- Hyderabad, Telangana, India

A. Hi Mukesh. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you or you are misunderstanding Howard & Frank and I: the Alodine pens are for touching up the chromate conversion coatings on a cadmium plated surface. You cannot gainfully apply Alodine/chromate to the bare steel of a cut edge.

If the quantity is huge, then it is probably very practical to strip and replate them.

9737-1 (Arinc 600 courtesy of TE Connectivity)

Need to touch up Cadmium plate on Arinc 600 connectors

My name is Pascale Masson and I'm a mechanical engineer.
During production, the Arinc 600 connectors have been damaged (scratches) and need to be touched up.

The shell of the connector is made in Aluminum per QQ-A-225/8 or QQ-A-591. The finish is cadmium plate per QQ-P-416 [link by ed. to spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil] class 2 type II yellow with an underplating of electroless nickel per Mil-C-26074 [link is to free spec spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil].

What can I do to avoid corrosion?

Pascale Masson
- Montreal Quebec Canada

A. Pascale,
1. Usually, AMS specs related to plating do not allow touch-up. However, I do not see a specific touch-up prohibition in AMSQQP416 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] (please re-check it with the current spec revision).
2. I'm not sure if there is a simple chemical touch-up that will do the job in your situation.
3. Probably you can use some "brush" Cd plating (selective local plating) per AMS2451/4D [affil. link to spec at Techstreet]. Chemical solutions are from SIFCO, like "Cadmium No Bake 2023". There is SIFCO procedure how to plate Aluminum surface using Nickel pre-plate.

Leon Gusak
- Winnipeg, Canada

adv.   accurate anodizing banner