Making an aluminum intercooler pretty again

(2001)

I have an aluminum intercooler for my car which I am interested in cleaning up. A lot of people chrome/chrome spray paint them but I am not interested in doing that was I think it is only for the "pose factor". I do however want the item to look it's best. As the aluminum in many places is very thin I have been told that it cannot be dip cleaned as the liquid left inside the intercooler will eventually eat it from the inside out.

One person suggested a dilute caustic solution but I wanted to speak to some experts before I go and destroy an expensive part of my car

Thanks People,

Damian Bruce
- Wellington, New Zealand

(2001)

It is true that sulfuric acid anodizing should not be employed on critical parts because of the corrosion potential you allude to. But the item could safely be chromic acid anodized as many aircraft parts are. Ted Mooney, finishing.com Teds signature

(2001)

Thanks for the advice. I followed it up but no one could help me out in my area. I have ended up giving it a light dusting with aluminum coloured spray paint and it looks fantastic.

Damian Bruce
- Wellington, New Zealand