Cleaning Stamping Oil Off Electro-Galvanized Parts

(2001)

I am having problems cleaning the stamping oil off of electro-galvanized (stamped) metal parts. I need a spot free finish. The problem is that either I remove some of the galzanized finish, or I get spotted parts after cleaning.

Any suggestions?

Jim Berry
Mechanical Finishing, Inc. - Cincinnati, Ohio

(2001)

I guess I'll get burned for heresy, but this problem and the solution are very easy. Don't use water, use a vapor degreaser.

(2001)

I cannot invest in a vapor degreaser cleaner. I have a three stage parts washer that has pressure jets and a heated chamber for drying. I have to find a way to use this in the cleaning process.

Jim Berry
- Cincinnati, Ohio

(2001)

Your local plating chemical distributor, or one mentioned in our Directory of Chemicals & Equipment will have cleaning solutions formulated for zinc, which will do very little etching of the galvanized surface; but alkaline cleaners are difficult to rinse spot-free. You could try de-ionized water in the last stage, which will work in theory but may be a headache in practice; alternately, a mix of Isopropyl Alcohol [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and water as your final rinse should reduce the spotting and staining.