Metal etching with permanent marker as a resist

(2001)

Some time ago I watched a program where a remarkably talented woman made jewelry using a metal form (usually brass or copper), and permanent markers as a resist...she dipped the pieces in something, and when they were removed the metal had been completely etched away leaving an exquisite lacy form...unfortunately I missed the name of the solution she used. I've made several attempts to find out through various sources but with no luck. I'm really hoping someone can let me know what solution it may have been. I don't know what it is in permanent markers but it is the resist.

I appreciate your time involved and sincerely hope you will be able to help me. My fingers are etching (pardon me) itching to begin.

Thanks very much,

Barbara MacFarlane
- Toronto, ON, Canada

Ferric Chloride

(2002)

The liquid used in the etching, probably would have been ferric chloride. The marker was more than likely oil based. The oil will resist the liquid.

Scott Rylance
- Australia

(2007)

I tried permanent marker in ferric chloride. I does work, but eventually the ferric chloride eats through the permanent marker. I've been keeping an eye on them as they etch and then reapplying the permanent marker when it starts come off. It washes off with just a scrubby sponge when you're done. I have to say the ease of permanent marker is appealing, but the etch is smoother with an oil based resist.

Rory Tubbs
- Boulder, Colorado, US