Dulling Brass

2001

I need to replace hinges on an antique hutch and am looking for the product that will age brass. I saw the last question but don't know what the product is that you refer to. The hinges I have purchased are not solid brass but 'brass colored' - so I suspect plated. They were the dullest I could find. I read your guidelines and was hoping you could help since you had already mentioned what looks to be a product. Or maybe there's a home solution such as ammonia.

Betty Baumann
- Atlanta, Georgia, USA

(2007)

Need: candle, can of Krylon matte finish spray, can of Acetone [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]

I tried a few chemical products, none were satisfactory. So here's what I did. (I suggest you try on a piece of cheap brass first.)

I held the piece in the yellow part of the candle flame to deposit an even coating of carbon soot on the piece. How much soot is a factor in how dark the "tinting" will be.

I then sprayed the matte spray over the carbon. Hold the can back about 8-12 inches so you get small droplets. The spray will dissipate the soot and lighten it. Spray on a very light coating. You can do a second coat if you like your results.

The can of Acetone - to remove your mistakes to try again. Good luck.

Dick Bonzagni
- Acton, Massachusetts