PLATING ON ALUMINUM

(2001)

I WANT TO KNOW HOW PLATING OVER ALUMINUM, FOR EXAMPLE IS NECESSARY, ETCH BEFORE ZINCATE? IS THE SUPERFICIE NECESSARY NO BRIGHT BEFORE ZINCATE?

THANKS,

RAFAEL ARENCIBIA
Cromoplastic - Caracas, Venezuela

(2001)

Etching is necessary, Rafael; bright dipping is not necessary and not recommended. We are having a little bit of language difficulty because I don't know what you mean by "superficie". Thanks.

(2001)

Please, I want to know how is the appropriate method for cleaning aluminum before Zincate, I think is:

1-Wash in gasoline and make friction with abrasive paper number 500.

2-Rinse, and wash with detergent soap, friction whiy some cotton in every sides

3-Rinse and now is the immersion on first zincate.... if you tell me the best methods for clean , I appreciate so much.

Thanks for your attention, Mister Ted Mooney and "superficie" is a spanish word is refer to area for treatment. Thanks again and excuse my English please.

Rafael Arencibia-Venezuela
Cromoplastic - Caracas, Venezuela

(2001)

Gasoline is never an appropriate cleaner; it's too flammable! You can clean the items with detergent and Pumice [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and a scrub brush. Then dip it in water and assure that it is so clean that there is no water break.

Then etch for a few seconds in warm caustic soda.

Then rinse and, if the aluminum is a rather pure alloy, I think you should be able to zincate without a desmutting step between etching and zincating.

(2001)

Thanks Mister Mooney. The etching with caustic soda, was the most important point of method for plating on aluminum forgot for me. Now etching after cleaning describe for you, with detergent, without gasoline, but the form of etching with caustic soda make for me, is an electrolytic anodizing cleaning into caustic soda with good results. I think is the same with warm caustic soda, because two pieces of cover aluminum motorcycle made yesterday results well.

Thanks so much for your help Mister Mooney.

Rafael Arencibia
Cromoplastic - Caracas, Venezuela

(2001)

Thanks, Rafael. I am sorry that I am still having some trouble completely understanding your questions, but you should not use electricity in the etch process, just warm caustic soda solution.

(2001)

Again about etching aluminum before zincate. Please, how many seconds is the correct time into the caustic soda for etching. The last time I etching 15 seconds an anodic electrolytic etch in caustic soda. This the same I use for electrolytic degreaser, and was find, but if I plating different sizes of pieces I think is one masime time to caustic soda.

Thanks so much,

Rafael Arencibia
Cromoplastic - Caracas, Venezuela

(2001)

Thanks, Mister Mooney.

Yes, everything is ok, for plating on aluminum. First step, clean and degreaser with detergent, soap, desmut and etching electrolytic caustic soda, with sodium cyanide (this is my electrolititic degreaser)10 to 15 seconds 2 volts, and after zincate, strip with nitric acid, zincate again, and copper alkaline 10 minutes in 2 or 4 volts. Next, acid copper 10 to 15 minutes and nickel and chrome or gold or brass. All trials was very well and the bright good. Thanks Again mister Mooney.

Your Venezuelan Friend,

Rafael Arencibia
Cromoplastic - Caracas, Venezuela

Hi, Rafael. It was my pleasure to help in a tiny way, but it sounds like you actually achieved success pretty much on your own. Thanks for the nice words.

Your American Friend,
Ted

Hi, I have an small old riveted aluminium boat it has had bad oxidization on it between the seat and the floor of the boat I have taken the seats out by removing the rivets and want to remove the white oxidation before welding the seats back in again and repairing the holes with aluminium special rods that melt 200 degs before the aluminium melts I was thinking of using caustic soda but was not sure of the risks. How long to paint the solution on and I gather wash it off with water

Ashley Dawson
repair - Australia