Electroless Ni plating with HCl and NH4OH as the base solution

(2001)

I do electroless plating of nickel. But my base solution is HCl neutralised with NH4OH to bring the pH to 4-5 and not water. The volume of my solution is 1mL. My problem is I don't always get plating. I try to plate on gold..sometimes brass. I am not sure what my problem is. What should I ensure to obtain plating? The quality or uniformity is not important right now. I know the pH is very important. I use pH papers, are these accurate?

Can somebody throw some light on this?

Sowmya Santanam
- Madison, Wisconsin, USA