Request info on priming underwater galvanized tank

(2001)

Q. I am thinking of using a large galvanized stock tank as a small, above/in ground swimming pool. I would like to paint the inside of the tank with pool paint to increase it's water retention and to improve it's appearance. I am not sure what type of primer I should use that would be compatible with an underwater+galvanized metal surface application.

Any info would be appreciated.

Debbie Greene
- Sacramento, California

similarly (2004)

Q. I came across your question as I was researching the feasibility of using a stock tank as a swimming pool. I am not able to answer your question, but if you are willing to share your experience using the stock tank as a swimming pool, I would love to hear it.

Andy Forstie
Personal - Phoenix, Arizona

(2004)

Q. As I've noticed in postings by others who have visited this website, I'm trying to use a large galvanized stock tank as a small, above/in ground swimming pool. I would like to paint the inside of the tank with white pool paint to increase it's water retention, and to improve it's appearance. However, I'm not sure what type of primer I should use that would be compatible with an underwater+galvanized metal surface application. Any info would be appreciated.

Jim Whisenant
home owner - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Latex Self-Etching Primer

A. Hi folks. Galvanizing can be difficult to paint for several reasons, but one of the problems is that zinc (galvanizing) plus alkyd (oil paint) "saponifies" (turns into soap). Obviously this soapy layer at the interface of the galvanizing and the paint makes for an impossible situation. You must use a latex self-etching primer after scrubbing the surface down and rinsing it.

This is still not an absolute guarantee of success since some galvanizing has a chromate quench layer, and the chromate represents another adhesion problem. But at least you have fair odds with the latex self-etching primer :-)

(2005)

A. I purchased a brand new stock tank for use as a backyard pool in 2001. We used it without any paint or sealer for 3 years, and it worked nicely. I purchased a pond filter and treated it with chemicals. During the off season, we drained it and flipped it. It started to get some white rust, making parts of the bottom rough, so last year I decided to paint it. I primed it with galvanized metal primer and then painted it with two coats of blue pool paint. It stayed on for most of the season, but started to chip by the end July. This year it is even worse. My hardware man says that it is the zinc in the tank that will always repel the paint. He suggests that this time I prime it with Linseed Oil [linked by editor to product info at Rockler] which will make it extremely sticky, then use the pool paint over that.

Cynthia D. Alexander
- Friona, Texas

A. Poly stock tanks are available now. They would not need to be painted for water retention, but I don't know how you feel about the aesthetics. The ones I have seen are a light green in color.

Amy Camp
- Mitchell, Nebraska