Laser assisted nitriding of steel

(2001)

I am a student doing research work on Laser nitriding of steel. I'm not really clear on how the actual nitriding process works. Could anyone please provide the information I'm looking for, or a web-site that would provide such basic information?

Elizabeth Cyriac
Applied Research Center - Newport News, VA, USA

(2001)

Gee Elizabeth, you'll really need to ask your prof about this. The laser can supply the heat necessary for the nitriding process, but it can't supply the nitrogen ions: they'll have to come from either a nitrogen atmosphere or ion implantation or some other source. I know of no commercial or proposed nitriding process that uses a laser. Doesn't mean it can't, just that no-one has figured out a way to do that and make a buck.

Sounds like you're working on some fun stuff!

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist

(2007)

What are the various methods of nitriding and what are their drawbacks? I had searched many sites and books for this question, but either I am not able to find the right answer or the contents were not up to mark.

Sanjay B.
student - Mumbai

(2007)

Hi Sanjay. There is gaseous nitriding, and salt bath nitriding, and plasma assisted nitriding, and here you are reading about laser assisted nitriding. I can't say that that is an exhaustive list, but it's a start. Good luck.