23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

What are the material properties of 10B38 steel?

(2001)

I would like to know the material properties of 10B38 steel. I am looking for properties like tensile strength, modulus of elasticity, and density. I searched all over the web for an answer, but came up empty so I figured I would try posting my question here.

Kevin Roger Pietras
- Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA

(2001)

Hello Kevin!

First off, the best place to post a question like this on metallurgy is the sci.engr.metallurgy newsgroup. There's a lot of traffic there, and a lot of experts on metallurgy. That said, I can tell you the composition of 10B38 is iron with 0.35-0.42 % carbon, 0.60-0.90 manganese. Standard limits on sulfur and phosphorus. The 'B' means that it has been boron treated, and can be expected to contain 0.0005-0.003 % boron, to improve hardenability. Not hardness, but hardenability: there's an important difference.

Tensile strength will depend on the heat treatment you give it, and can vary widely: 50 ksi and 130 ksi were both listed in one of my handbooks as typical numbers. Elastic modulus will be really close to 30 million, and density will be just about 0.283 pounds per cubic inch.

Matweb does have some information on 1038: surf over to www.matweb.com/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=M1038B and group;=General and join me in laughing at the 5 significant figure accuracy for the Young's modulus. Hey, they try.

Hope this helps!

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist

(2005)

I was wondering if either of you have any information to Austempering 10B38. I am especially interested in a TTT Diagram for this material.

David Cooper
Mower blades - Orangeburg, South Carolina

Dear Lee
Your clarification was quite helpful to me. I am due to purchase some hundred tons of 10B38 steel for cold forged bolt and nuts production.
Mehrdad Rostami
- Tehran, Iran