Clear coat for galvanized sheet metal

(2001)

What product should I use to coat a galvanized sheet metal bathroom countertop to seal it from water stains? Currently, the countertop has water stains that cannot be removed by any cleaning products. We plan to steel wool [linked by editor to product info at Rockler] the surface to remove the stains, then coat the galvanized steel with a polyurethane type clear coat.

Any suggestions?

Joy Wilson
- Portland, Oregon

(2003)

What was the response to the clear coating of sheet metal?

Brenda Rogers
- Umatilla, Florida

(2003)

I have intentions of fabricating galvanized metal countertops for my kitchen. What product should I use to seal them to prevent staining/reactions from acidic fluids?

Robert Bailey
Building Maintenance - Bellingham, Washington

(2003)

I too want to know what to "seal" galvanized metal countertops with so they won't stain. I plan to install and heard about "acid" stains and water stains....

Jan McDonald
- Houston, Texas

Hi, folks. The issue is that getting adhesion onto a galvanized surface is exceptionally hard. That's why they make special Galvanized Metal Primer [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] that etches the galvanized surface -- but those primers are colored, not clear.

So you are asking how to get adhesion while refraining from using the approach that is most likely to work :-)

I'd say the second best approach would be to scrub the countertop with trisodium phosphate [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] to remove any oils and fingerprints, then try to etch it with vinegar, rinse it, and clear coat it immediately. Try etching an inconspicuous spot first because etching will obviously reduce the shine. Good luck!

(2007)

We are having difficulty in trying to Clean Sheet Metal with fingerprints and food/drink stains? It also, has swirl marks from trying to clean it with other cleaners, i.e., windex, soap/water, metal cleaners, etc. BTW- it is a huge 30 ft x 10 ft wall. THANKS!

Ron Berg
Consumer - Kansas City, Missouri

Hi, Ron. Try scrubbing with powdered Pumice [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] and a little trisodium phosphate [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. I've heard that you can mix the pumice with a fine oil to get some shine, but I'm not personally familiar with that.

I would like to re-ask the question above...has anyone found a clear sealer, wax or other coating that protects the surface of a galvanized sheet metal surface, that would also be food safe?

Keith B
- Atlanta, Georgia, USA

A. Try boiled linseed oil?

Jim McCoy
- Finlay, Ohio