Zinc cyanide

(2001)

We rent a duplex and have lived here eight months. I would like to know if this is dangerous as any chemicals bother me. I go to a naturepathic doctor in Georgia that does meridian testing not like traditional doctors do tests. The last time I went it showed I had a build up of zinc cyanide. This duplex is at least twenty years old. He said it showed from plating. I guess its on the water heater. I would like to find out anything about this.

I would appreciate any info.

Patricia Risen
- Winchester, Kentucky, U.S.A.

(2001)

A. I think I'll stick with my traditional doctor and his conventional tests, thanks :-)

It's true that water heaters have an anode to protect the steel case when/if the glass lining cracks and exposes it. But these are usually magnesium or aluminum, not zinc. Hot water is not potable water; you should not be drinking it, only using it for washing.

As for the cyanide part: How is that supposed to be coming from the plating?

I don't see any reason to conclude that the water heater is the cause of the test results. The zinc could more likely be coming from Cold-Eze tablets and the cyanide from lima beans or almonds. Good luck.

(2005)

A. Zinc Cyanide. Cas# 557-21-1 Hazmat Placard 1713. Most likely your physiological accumulation is a result of this chemical being added to your water in aqueous solution by your Water Company or Water management agency. I would strongly suggest installation of an approved reverse osmosis system. And I would trust the Holistic doctor's advice and treatment. What did he/she recommend? Zinc is added to galvanized pipe, but Aqueous concentrations above 100 ppm as a result of ionic exchange between your piping (if it's galvanized) and your water would be highly unlikely. The tank of a typical hot water heater is pressed steel and contains less zinc than the piping. Tank-held hot water should not be ingested as the tank can accumulate high concentrations of hydrated silica. I doubt you drink your hot tapwater because it usually tastes horrible.

Jonathan Jacobs
- Inyokern, California, USA

Hi Jonathan. Do you have any reason to believe any water company anywhere has ever added zinc cyanide to their water? I've personally never heard of such a thing.Thanks.