Crosslinking agents for PVB / PVF

(2001)

Just came across your forum while trying to find some info on the web. I am trying to coat an electroplated copper layer with a polymer to insulate it from another layer I plan to put on top. I know that there are loads of insulator systems available but the problem is that I have to use screen-printing to put on the layer. Those I have found before dry too soon on the screen or the layers short after electroplating the second layer. At the moment I use PVB or PVF in a solvent but the layers are not stable. Now, if I could get a crosslinking agent, either UV of temperature activated, I figure that my problem could be solved.

So, If anyone knows of an easily available crosslinker which does the trick (or has a good chance) I would love to hear from you. Of course other suggestions are also welcome.

Many thanks for any help.

David Egan
University of Limerick - Limerick, Ireland

(2001)

Dear Mr Egan,

In practice PVB is able to react with cross-linking partners such as phenolic, epoxide and melamine resins (application high-quality stoving enamels). For air drying, cross-linkable coating systems adequately catalyzed phenolic, urea and melamine resin, as well as polyisocyanate and dialdehyde combination partners are used.

I do not know if this information will help you to solve your problem, but I hope so.

Dr. Uwe Brueckner
Clariant GmbH/ Div. CEP/BU PVA/PVB/ Marketing - Sulzbach, Germany

I am trying the same and saw on a patent that PVB can be thermally cross-linked at about 150-200 C for a couple of hours. I have done something like this in the past, so I'm sure it can be done. I'm just trying to reproduce old results.

Let me know what you find out,

Don Kupp
- Philipsburg, Pennsylvania