23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Cleaning Nickel Plated Parts On Musical Instrument

(2001)

I am looking for a product that will safely clean tarnish and/or oxidization on a musical instrument. The instrument is a Gibson Mastertone banjo and the hardware is nickel plated. For cleaning, I can remove the back and the head leaving only the resonator attached to the staff. I've tried TARN-X with no success and ammonia/water with limited success but I can't seem to get all oxidization and restore that original luster.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Charles Arnold
- Greensboro, North Carolina

(2004)

I have the same problem. I have a metal bodied Dobro and would like to know how to clean it safely.

Ben Lewis
- Stroud, Gloucestershire, England