Niobium anodizing

(2001)

Q. I am doing a science project for my chemistry class. I want to anodize niobium for the project. Is this a feasible idea?

Ryan Dromgoole
- Massachusetts

(2001)

A. It sure is, Ryan!

Among my more 'geek' gifts to my wife have been several pairs of anodized niobium earrings; I think they were by Holly Joshi. Nice, pretty colors. Check out wuarchive.wustl.edu/edu/arts/metal/TOC/finishes/anodize.html which is an article by Bill Seeley on anodizing titanium. The same thoughts apply to niobium. In 4th grade, my son did a science project on anodizing Ti and used four 6-volt batteries to get the pretty blue.

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist