BEST PICKLING SOLUTION FOR STAINLESS STEEL/TITANIUM ALLOYS

(2001)

Q. We are manufacturers of Stainless Steel products. We are facing problem in pickling titanium alloys. Please suggest us the best method of pickling Stainless Steel as well as titanium products. We are currently using a mixture of HNO3:HF in the ratio of 1:3. I have read ammonium bifluoride is also used. How could I make the solution of ammonium bifluoride powder? Do I have to mix H2SO4/HF/HNO3 with it?

Suresh Agarwal
- Delhi, India

(2001)

Q. Dear Suresh Agarwal,

Looks like we have a similar problem. Could you please forward me any positive solutions to your problem?

Kind regards,

Mario Vorster
steel products - Cape Town, South Africa

(2004)

A. I believe that a 0.15 lb/gal solution of ammonium bifluoride could be used.

P Edwards
- Bristol, UK

Q. I am trying to prep the surface of Titanium CP1 for a coating . . . and grinding just is not doing it. I was wondering if there was any way I could corrode or pit the surface of the titanium sheets so they would hold a coating better?

Richard Steen
- Amarillo, Texas