Brass handles antique removing

(2001)

I have 36 solid brass handles on my kitchen cabinets that are 20 years old and were antiqued. I would like to remove the antiquing and restore them to bright brass. I have tried brass polishers but they do not work. Is there anything I can use to remove this antique finish?

Beverly Allison
- Chesterfield, Missouri, USA

(2003)

As in question 9008, I also have old brass antiqued cabinet handles. I tried the flour and salt and vinegar; that didn't work. I have tried Brasso [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. I have tried "Nevr-Dull [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]". I need an answer since I do not want the expense of replacing all the cabinet door hinges and handles.

Janet Mounts
- Akron, Ohio

(2003)

Try soaking the handles overnight in lacquer remover. Use gloves afterwards when handling to rinse off the remover. You should then be able to polish them to a shiny finish. I like NEVR-DULL polish the best.

Good luck,

Linda Champagne
- Elsinboro, New Jersey

(2004)

I have an "antique brass" fireplace screen. I would like to change that to a "polished" finish. Can I do this? It is solid brass.

Sherry Allison
homeowner - Nashville, Tennessee, USA