Lacquer Removal from Brass Hardware

2001

Q. Our brass outside door hardware appears to have been lacquered originally, but the lacquer is worn off in spots. When I polish with Brasso, the parts where the lacquer is worn off shines nicely, but the blackened lacquer parts don't respond at all. How can I remove the remains of the lacquer and get down to solid brass. Then I can polish and clear coat it.

Edwin Felch
- Blacksburg, Virginia, USA

Acetone

2001

A. Dear Edwin,

Try using some Acetone [affil. link to product info on Amazon] to strip the remaining lacquer off of your piece. If that doesn't work, it's because the coating was baked on, you'll need to get a stripper with methylene chloride in it. These are both dangerous chemicals, you must use them in an area with ventilation, and you need a respirator. I strongly advise you to find more information about methylene chloride before using it, this may be a carcinogen. Once you get it all stripped off, continue polishing with Brasso [affil. link to product info on Amazon], then clean with acetone to remove the compound off the piece, clear coat and you are done. If you don't want to go through this trouble, try a polishing shop in your area.

Good Luck

Jake Koch
G. J. Nikolas &Co.,Inc.
Bellwood, Illinois
nikolas banner ad

May 10, 2012 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I found what I believe is a hand-made spittoon. I cleaned it then put lacquer on it, now want to take it off.
Thank You

Brenda Jones
- Hubbardsville, New York, U.S.A.

A. Hi Brenda.

If you put actual brass lacquer on it, it should be readily removable with acetone as suggested by Jake. Good luck.