Faux Finish Anaglypta-tin Ceiling

(2001)

Hi there

I need to know how to faux finish anaglypta [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] to make it look like a tin ceiling.

I would appreciate your help very much

Cory Byrd
- Louisville, Kentucky, USA

(2001)

Debby Travis' Painted house did a show on this recently and you can get the instructions from her website (just do a search for Debby Travis on the internet) -- but essentially -- she painted the anaglypta wallpaper with a roller (latex paint) and then took a different colour and applied it just to the "raised pattern bits" by dabbing off much of the colour and then just brushing the sponge, ever so lightly, until the raised part had accepted the colour. Debby then went over with a paint brush and highlighted individual parts of the pattern with an artist's paint brush -- but this wouldn't really be necessary...It looked really nice!

Barbara Elias
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

(2004)

HI Cory: You are probably long since finished, but for future reference you can basecoat with any number of waterborne metallic finishes (McCloskey [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], Sheffield [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], Crescent Bronze, and Modern Masters [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] are all pretty good). You can get your desired shade of copper by adding a little silver and some red. You needn't buy whole quarts of metallic for shadings: go to your local hobby shop and get 2 oz containers of airbrush colors for $1 to $4 ea.

Apply the basecoat with either a 50/50 lambswool/fiber blend roller cover (1/2" nap) which will allow you take out the roller lines, or if you want it super smooth, brush it on with a good (Wooster or Purdy) nylon polyester brush. An angle sash brush will allow you to go fast and do tricks like swirling.

When the basecoat dries, you can either accent with a bright gold, or take a 1/8" mohair roller cover and it will leave paint just on the raised portions. Sheffield will send you a complete chart of available metallic colors. McCloskey only makes 4 or 5, but they accept additional tinting better. Good luck. Larry

Larry Weindel
Faux Painter - Springfield Missouri, USA

(2004)

Hi

I am thinking of covering ceiling tile with embossed tin ceiling wall paper and then hopefully applying a faux finish of some type to make it look awesome. I read the letters that were on this web site and have a few questions if someone has the answers:

1) I will be working alone on a 15 by 15 ceiling - can I cut the paper into manageable size - e.g., 1/2 of a 8 foot strip making sure the pattern is ok and work with it like this or will that create more work as there will be more seams?
2) not sure how to finish it - would I apply the faux finish before I mount the strips or work overhead after it's on the ceiling?
3) I was hoping tin ceiling embossed paper will cover the tile lines so nothing will show thru. Do you agree? and is there such a thing as too heavy a paper or are they all the same?
4) any particular prep work required to cover tile with this heavy paper? I was going to apply a primer/sizer that home depot sells as the tiles are very smooth and somewhat shiny.

Your help and hints will be appreciated!

Irene

Irene johnston
hobbyist/homemaker - Kingston, Ontario, Canada

(2006)

I am renovating a 150 yr old house. Have found faux tin ceiling tile by Armstrong. Wd be very expensive to do. Any discount stores?

Judi Carrier
Steepleview Farms - Windber, Pennsylvania, USA

Anaglypta Wallpaper

(2006)

I've just moved into a soon to be charming rental apartment. Unfortunately it comes with ugly drop ceiling tiles placed on suspended metal stripes. I really want to camouflage the ceiling especially since a disability leaves me reclined and staring at the ceiling far too often. Should I just paint the whole ceiling in a tin hue? I'm really wondering about using tin ceiling embossed wallpaper. Has anyone tried doing this one tile at a time? I can stand on a ladder only for very brief periods of time. I can't possibly afford the drop-in metal tiles. Thought and especially your experience and suggestion very much appreciated!

Elixabeth J. Sanders
disabled renter - Everett, Massachusetts

(2006)

We recently replaced our kitchen ceiling and are now looking for anaglypta paper. We were told the manufacturer in England has stopped making this paper. The paper we had on the ceiling was very thick and the design showed well after painting. Does anyone know who still manufactures the anaglypta paper.

Susan Garriott
homeowner - Indianapolis, Indiana

(2006)

Hi Susan, I had the same problem but I found the English anaglypta paper at fyhome.com. It was delivered promptly without any problems.

Sandy Pancrazi
- Leonia, New Jersey