Alodine 1200 and Alocrom 1200

(2001)

My questions are:

1. What is the difference between Alodine 1200 and Alocrom 1200?
2. How can I get information (technical data) for these two items.

Yusof Minin
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

(2001)

A. Alocrom and Alodine are the two trade names for the same product. One is the US and the other is the European.

Ciaron Murphy
- Great Britain

(2001)

Q. Does "same product" mean "identical"? The two names make it confusing for me. I guess I do not understand the whole "trade name" system.

Jimmy Ng
- Fountain Valley, California, USA

A. According to a Henkel Technical Process Bulletin about Alocrom 1200 dated 10/05/2005, Alocrom 1200 and Alodine 1200 are chemically identical. The process is known as Alodine 1200 outside UK.

A copy of that is available at www.xs4all.nl/~henk0008/Alodine/ALOCROM%201200.pdf
I could not, however, find any more current data with similar statement on the Henkel web site.

Philip Naniov
- Christchurch, New Zealand

(2006)

Q. I understand Alocrom 1200 is soon to be banned, what is the new legal alternative ?

Stephen Walker
- Pickering, North Yorkshire, England

Ed. note: letter 40022 seems to have the exact answer you are looking for, Stephen.

Q. Hi there,

I run a Powder Coating company and a customer of mine has asked me if we can do Alochroming (1200 dip).

I said I would look into this. I have been told that chromates are being phased out in 2018 and wondered if anyone knew anything about Alodine as an alternative? Does anyone know the process? Costs, etc.? Thanks in advance.

Dan

Dan Wright
Manager Powder Coating Company - Lincoln UK

A. Hi Dan. Alochrome and Alodine are Henkel tradenames for a whole range of conversion coating products. Although Alochrome 1200 is, per my understanding, hexavalent chromium based, and therefore problematical, there are other Alodine products (and presumably Alochrome products) that do not contain hexavalent chrome. There are also similar non-hexavalent chromium aluminum surface prep chemicals from Chemetall [a finishing.com supporting advertiser], Macdermid Inc. [a finishing.com supporting advertiser], and other suppliers.