HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum letter 8401

Inquiry About Uses for Sulfamic Acid

A discussion started in 2001 and continuing through 2017 . . .

(2001)

Q. Can I use sulfamic acid for cleaning of boilers and boiler tubes?

Kindly also tell me about major uses of sulfamic acid?

Nadeem Sumair
- Islamabad, Pakistan

similarly (2007)

Q. Dear Sir.
I am the supervisor in a dyeing factory. Our boiler has a problem about the heat transfer
Please send me the information for how to use sulfamic acid as a boiler cleaner.The boiler productivity has been reduced for a few years of using because of the presence of metal ions in the water supplying for boiler.
I hope your answer and thank you a lot
Best regards
TUNG

Truong Thanh Tung
supervisor - Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam

Q. Can sulfamic acid used for Descaling of boiler tubes. If yes , What will be the concentration of Solution & What will be the quantity for 600 kg boiler

jagannathkadam
- Bombay,Maharastra, India

A. Dear Sir;
Sulphamic is used for Boiler Tubes Descaling.

Concentration of sulphamic acid in a solution is around 8-10% normally; but it depends on scale deposits in tubes.

With Regards

Nilesh Patel
- Ankleshwar, Gujarat- INDIA

(2001)

Q. Dear Sirs,

Please advise the following questions:
(1). Can Sulfamic acid work as reducing agent in wastewater treatment or other industries?
(2). What are the major uses of sulfamic acid?

Thanks & Regards,

Jackie Chiou
- Taipei City, Taiwan .R.O.C.

(2002)

A. (1)I've never heard of anyone using sulfamic acid as a reducing agent. There are some acids that are known as "reducing acids"- HCl is one of them but I'm not sure about sulfamic acid.

(2)Sulfamic acid is used by the pulp and paper industry as a descaling agent because it is a low chloride acid (for use on stainless steel) and will not precipitate sulfate salts (whereas sulfuric acid will).

Terry Wagner
industrial outsourcing - Kelso, Washington, USA

A. Dear Sir;
Sulphamic Acid is used as;

Descaling Water born & Process Scales in Industrial
Equipments and Process

As Part of Cleaning of Metal, Floor Surface, Household
Equipment, Condenser Etc.

As Chlorine Stabilizer in Swimming Pool

Bleaching Additive In Pulp & Paper Industries.
In Leather Dyeing Process

During Diazotizations in Dyes & Pigments
Manufacturing

Plastic Industries as a curing agent.

We are manufacturer of sulphamic acid of all grades.
Thanks & Regards,

Nilesh Patel
- Ankleshwar, Gujarat, INDIA

Q. Dear sir,

Can I use sulfamic acid in waste water treatment plant as a reducing agent?

Please give details,

H.N. Suryawanshi
environment - Bombay, Maharastra, India.

thumbs up sign Hi H.N. Terry already answered that exact question. Please expand your question to request clarification of his answer, or re-word the question to involve your specific situation, or do anything other than simply repost a question which has already been answered. That's the kiss of death to a dialog :-)

Q. Can I use sulphamic acid for cooling tower in chlorine stabilization?

Bhagwan Munde
- Parli, Maharashtra, India

I am a Senior chemist at a Gold Mine. I am tasked with finding an option for descaling an 8 km line which uses process discharge mixed with cement to paste underground mined stopes.
My question, since the line is pvc/poly and I intend to use 5% sulfamic acid; do I use an inhibitor and name me one inhibitor I can use please?

Jacob Eko
- Mt. Hagen, Western Highlands Province, Papua New Guinea

A. Hi Jacob. My specialty and the site's specialty is metal finishing, and we are not familiar with mining. Still, 5% sulfamic acid will not attack PVC or poly at all. You will find them completely resistant to the acid. Good luck.

Using sulphamic acid to clean carbon steel heat exchanger tubes

Hi everyone. I have a question regarding using sulphamic acid as a cleaner. If we have to use sulphamic acid for cleaning of tubes of synthesis heat exchanger at ammonia plant what should be the optimum parameters, e.g., concentration, temperature, etc., considering the fact that tubes of heat exchangers are made of carbon steel. Is using sulphamic acid as a cleaner in this case advisable?

Ammar mustafa
- Islamabad, Pakistan

A. You can use sulphamic acid at 2%

or HCl 2% with thiourea as inhibitor.

Asmaa el-sayed
Chemical Engineer - Alexandria, Egypt