Platinum Plating?

2001

I have a the original wedding band bought 1 year ago; 14K white gold and this past week I had a platinum band made with inset diamonds. I wanted to wear the 2 bands together - however, the difference in color is so obvious I need to do something. Can the white gold band be plated in platinum?

Oana Ursachi
- New York, New York

2001

Yes you could have the article plated with platinum, provided you can find a jeweler who plates platinum. Platinum is not a common element to plate for jewelry, as most items are cast. You could also plate the article with Rhodium, which will look much like platinum and give excellent wear resistance. But again, good luck finding a jeweler to perform this. (try Red Sky Plating [a finishing.com supporting advertiser] in Albuquerque, NM)

Stan Wright
- Loveland, Colorado, USA

2001

You should consider preplating it in palladium first followed by a 2 micron layer of platinum for longer term wear and color match. For most rings the finish life using this procedure is quite good. Rhodium is fine but the color match is not very good to your new ring. If you need help we can can offer a plating service to you.

Sincerely,

David Vinson
Metal Arts Specialties - Leonard, Michigan

jewelry banner  red sky plating banner