Silver Color on Aluminium (Impossibile)!

(2001)

I don't believe? I was ask many times how I can get silver color on aluminium tube nobody knows? (See letters # 8071.) I have china aluminium chair in my hands and look like silver. How I can get silver color in my chair. I have anodising line in my little job story but I don't now hemik or electrohemic process. Again I can't believe only china can make silver color on aluminium.

Best regards

Goran
- Belgrade, Yugoslavia

(2001)

Remove the oxidation by sanding it or cem. etch then polish it.

Kelly Chadwick
- Ogden, UT

(2001)

Here is one possible solution for your problem you can try BUFFING PROCESS on aluminium to get a shiny silvery finish. It will improve the surface quality as well the aesthetic of your component. I think this is the only possible way

Thanx,

Vishnu Shirodkar
- India

(2001)

The best way to obtain a silver finish that will last is to use chrome bond powder coating. This also has to be clear laqured for protection. All the car companies use this on alloy wheels the powder is Poly and can be purchased from AKZO NOBEL. Hope this is of help.

Best Regards,

Richard Rinn
- Glasgow, Scotland

(2001)

Here is a step by step guide.

1. Make the tube shine - any way you can.

2. Clean it well - degrease with solvent and soak clean is best if you can not do that just do the soak clean in a mild alkali cleaner for aluminium.

3. Rinse in clean water - check now for water breaks - these are areas where water does not want to stay on the surface and runs away from if you have any it is not clean enough.

4. The part should still be nice and shiny and aluminium coloured. If not the alloy could be the problem - If it has gone black it is a high copper alloy and the cleaner is not mild enough. If it has small amount of smut remove it with 50% commercial strength (59%) nitric acid 50% water then rinse.

5. Anodise:

6. Remove and rinse - the part should be nice and silver, if it has gone gray this could by the alloy it could be the film is too thick - play around with the time and voltage.

7. Seal - this is where you may have problems - seal in hot water. Hotter than 96C and it must be deionised conductivity less than 100 microS per cm.

8. Remove and dry and hopefully admire the silver anodise.

Hope I have not been too simple with this.

Martin Trigg-Hogarth
Martin Trigg-Hogarth
surface treatment shop - Stroud, Glos, England

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to
Search the Site