Heat Resistant Clear Coat for Fireplace Accessories

(2001)

I am polishing a brass (plated ?) fireplace metal insert. I would like to protect it with a clear coat that would resist the heat transferred from the fireplace. Any suggestions?

Ed Horsfall
- Washougal, Washington, USA

(2004)

Ed, try getting a clear engine coating which will sustain temps higher than your fireplace tools/accessories will see, while protecting your polished brass.

Also, and I will admit it has been a while, but at my previous employer, I formulated a clear finish to go over grill hoods and covers. These finishes are a silicone alkyd, the alkyd burns off in the heat while the silicone melds and forms a tough hardened layer over the grill top. Your tools won't need this type of protection other than possibly at the working ends.

Walt Conti
- Memphis, Tennessee, USA