CLEAR CADMIUM v.s. ELECTROLYTIC AND ELECTROLESS NICKEL PLATING

(2001)

I use electrolytic and electroless nickel on a great deal of brass and zinc parts. My customer is requesting CADIUM, CLEAR, PER QQ-P-416 [link by ed. to spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil] , TYPE II, CLASS 3. How does this compare in appearance, corrosion resistance, ware and abrasion to my nickel plates? I know the detailed difference between my nickel plates but, the clear cadmium is new to me.

Scott Christman
- Minneapolis, Minnesota

(2001)

Clear cadmium means cadmium plating with a clear, as opposed to a yellow, conversion coating on it.

You will want to check the OSHA regulations before installing cadmium plating as it is a cumulative poison akin to mercury and lead, and there are special monitoring requirements that are not required for nickel.

(2001)

I once ran a nickel -cad line...many years ago.... I know qqp-416 to be "mil spec" for cad plate.... Depending on whether your nickel is a bright nickel or Watts [satin] nickel.... brightness comparisons will vary, Cad with clear has a bluish tint to its finish, very similar in appearance to zinc plate.

I would also suggest you review the cad plate mil specs in regard to processing.... as memory serves...some mil spec work have bake times...others require an "olive drab" chromate coating , others still are nickel based cad....sorry ,but I can't remember if either applies to qqp-416. I do remember that there are specific plate thicknesses involved, as we used to use a "dermitron" for testing thickness as well as gauges.

Hope this is of some help....

Ron Landrette
plating equipment supplier - Bristol, Connecticut