Removing Gold Spray Paint from Pewter

(2001)

I have a 140 yr. old pewter figurine that my grandmother felt compelled to paint gold. How can I restore it back safely?

Debora Chelson
- Prescott, Arizona, USA

(2001)

Deborah !

Be careful! Only use a solvent. Don't, please DON'T use any chrome polish or other 'cleaners' as you'll remove the patina of many years.

I, too, have an old pewter piece, a mug from around l795. Compared to other and later pewter mugs, it has a real dark dull appearance (shine is the wrong word) ... and even some of the markings on the lip have been worn away drinkers ... who are now all dead !

I would visit, if I may suggest, a local paint store and ask them to try out a dab of one of their solvents before you buy any ... you may have to acquire a lacquer solvent ... in which case why not try first of all some of your clear nail polish remover, sic. Acetone [linked by editor to product info at Amazon].

'tis certainly a case of Caveat Emptor ! CHEERS