Proper/Best Solution for Gunmetal Finish on Jewelry Items?

(2001)

Greetings:

I was hoping that someone here could recommend the most appropriate plating solution to use to achieve a 'gunmetal' finish on jewelry items (handmade chains and chainmaille in precious metals) and where I might be able to purchase same in pint or gallon quantities. (the only type of 'black' finish my jewelry supplier carries is a black rhodium, which is too costly at this point)

The jewelry for the new line I want to make isn't going to be 14k or sterling, since I'm going to be plating it....will perhaps use nickel silver, copper or brass (depending on what works best with whatever solution will get me the finish I'm looking for).

I will be doing bath plating, not pen plating, if that helps any. Hope I've provided enough information so that someone might be able to assist.

Thanks very much if anyone has any input or can point me in the direction of a supplier to contact.

Sabrina Mrin
Spectrum Resources - New Orleans, Louisiana

Ed. note: This site is made possible by supporting advertisers who can't be asked to pay the cost of maintaining replies that recommend their competitors, so only generic responses can be printed. But these advertisers will no doubt contact Ms. Mrin privately.

(2006)

Macdermid sells a product called NISTAN SF (Nickel - tin plating) that should do the job. Ruthenium plating might work too. Glad to help.

Fernando Ruiz
- Bogota, Colombia, South America