23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

How and Why does Copper Oxidize

(2001)

I am working on my science project for school. I want to show how and why copper oxidizes, and what happens to copper when exposed to different solutions. For my experiment, I have chosen to work with vinegar, vegetable oil, and Del Taco hot sauce (at the request of my teacher.)

Can you help with this as I cannot seem to find any good references on the web?

Ashley C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Glendora, California, USA

(2002)

DEAR ASHLEY,

I AM ALSO DOING A SCIENCE PROJECT ABOUT THE SAME TOPIC. I DON'T KNOW ANY GOOD WEB SITES BUT THERE IS ONE THING THAT IS SURE TO TURN YOUR COPPER GREEN . . . . . BLEACH REGULAR LIQUID LAUNDRY BLEACH! I HOPE THIS CAN HELP AND GOOD LUCK!

SINCERELY,

Tony H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Casper, Wyoming

Typesetter's note: present company (website) excepted:-0

2006

A good website is www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci. You have to search but it has good information.

Billie Kase
- NYC, New York, USA

(2007)

When copper turns green it is because it is exposed to oxygen and possibly water.

John Markus Palacios
- Long Beach, California

I'm doing a experiment like that too I'll try bleach. So thanks.

JT Hearn
- Deland, Florida, USA