Manager Needs Help! with RF Conductive Finishes

(2001)

I was delighted to find this chat line from a web search. Perhaps someone can help me understand conductive finishes on aluminum for RF and microwave modules.

We are dealing with an RF component vendor who insists on a silver-plate finish to achieve corrosion resistance together with excellent electrical conductivity. The finish tarnishes, however, and looks unsightly. I remember we used to specify Alodine finishes at another company, but I don't really know what that is. Someone here says it's the same as anodizing, but I'm dubious since anodization is non-conductive and unsuitable for the conductive metal-to-metal contacts needed for high-frequency modules. Someone else says I should specify Iriditing, but I don't know anything about that one.

Help please?
Thanks :-) Manager-in-need

Mark Leifer
Ericsson Wireless - Boulder, Colorado

(2001)

Alodine and Iridite are essentially the same thing. They are both trade names for chromate conversion coatings. They provide increased corrosion resistance and adhesion properties when applied to aluminum. Chromate conversion coating is not the same thing as anodizing.

Patrick Patton
Q-Panel Lab Products - Westlake, Ohio

(2001)

You might be requiring the clear coat chemical conversion for your application. I'm not sure with Iridite but Alodine has a special product for this. I think it is Alodine 1000L

Dado Macapagal
- Toronto, Ontario