topic 7984 p.2

What ferrous material is fully resistant to hydrochloric acid?

< Prev. page          (You're on the last page of the thread)

Q. I need to produce hydrochloric acid in a concentration grade of 25%-30% in a very small scale of one gallon a week according to one of these formulas:
1)NaCl+NaHSO4+->Na2SO4+HCl
2)2NaCl+H2SO4->Na2SO4+2HCl

The problem is that the material to construct the reactor all are based on the HASTELLOY-B-3 OR HASTELLOY C276, which are very expensive (one square meter costs 3330$)
So my question is:
If there is any material that may subtitute for those alloys (some kind of composite material or an heat resisting glass) that would be cost effective and would resist the corrosion and temprature required for the HCl production?
I need it urgently for refining precious metal.
Thak you for your collaboration.

jeovanny viteri
quimecua - guayaquil, Ecuador

A. Hi Jeovenni
For that quantity I would use standard laboratory glassware.
5 Litres is a common size
A quick web search of laboratory suppliers Equador offered several options

A. If you can buy sulfuric acid, why not buy HCl. It would probably end up cheaper and would not be the problem with the Haz wastes.
HCl is available in glass up to 2.5 L and in plastic from 5 gal to 55 gal.
Pool acid is weaker but should be more readily available.

Q. Hi, I have an specific requirement for HCl 5% at 105 °C, which metallic materials can stand it at these conditions?

Camila Marín
University of Antioquia - Medellín, Antioquia, Colombia

A. Hi Camila,

One of the high corrosion resistant alloys, such as Inconel will probably be your best choice over a typical stainless alloy. Having anything fabricated from Inconel will be the difficult and expensive part.

jim conner
Jim Conner
Anoplex - Dallas, Texas USA

A. You might want to evaluate Hastelloy C, or possibly monel.

Lyle Kirman
consultant - Cleveland Heights, Ohio

Glass and enameled steel can withstand the hydrochloric acid.
Good luck

Cair Shishani
Khair Shishani
aircraft maintenance - Al Ain, UAE

Q. Does anyone have any experience of constructing a RCC Storage tank with suitable protection to store Hydrochloric Acid (30-34%) at 40-50 °C? HCl would have some soluble organics (Benzyl Chloride, Benzyl Dichloride, Benzaldehyde, Benzyl Alcohol) from 500-1000 ppm. I understand that neither FRP with normal vinyl ester resin nor any thermoplastic is suitable.

Vinod Trivedi
- New Delhi, Delhi, India

Q. Hi I want to design a Reactor which uses hydrochloric acid in high concentration and in temperatures about 150 °C-200 °C and I have read everywhere about tantalum treated stainless steel and its cost effectiveness but my question is However tantalum corrosion rate is very small but on the other hand, in tantalum treated materials, tantalum would be a very thin layer on the surface of the main metal, therefore is the matter of time, can I use tantalum treated materials for a long time (like 10 years) contact with high concentration of HCl? How much time it can stand HCl?

Ahmad Rabiee
Sharif University of Technology - Tehran, Tehran, Iran

A. Hi Ahmad
There are usually many other factors in selecting a material but we do not know your detailed application.
If you must use metal, I would consider Monel, Hastelloy or Incolloy. All are expensive and may be difficult to obtain.
Have you considered lining the reactor with PTFE?
As an old chemist, my first choice would be glass readily available as components for almost any reactor configuration.

Q. Thank you, Geoff, for your answer; glass is not applicable because my system must handle pressure above 200 bar but PTFE lining is an interesting idea, but the question is what can I do for valves and fittings? what about places where reactor must join a pipe for input or output, Can PTFE lining protect the main body from corrosion in that places?

Ahmad Rabiee [returning]
- Tehran,Iran

Hi Ahmad

I do not know if you can get them locally but PTFE lined fittings are readily available.
Search on "PTFE valves"
The specialist suppliers can advise on the most suitable lining and probably design the complete reactor for you using standard parts.

Pump seals for hydrochloric acid

Q. In our plant a fluorolined pump has a 1.375" mechanical seal glandplate of hylum material which creates leakage problems due to Hydraulic^hydrochloric acid.

Please suggest low cost & preventive material against HCl for glandplate.

Virendrasinh Parmar
UPL - Bharuch, Gujarat, India

What spring material is resistant to 30% HCl?

Q. Please suggest the suitable material for compression spring of wire dia 0.30 mm and OD 5.00 mm, length 18.00 mm. The spring has to work in HCl 30% concentrated solution. SS316 wire is dissolving after few days of operation.

Manjunath CM
- Bengaluru India