Removing Heavy Brass Oxidation

(2001)

Howdy,

I am trying to clean heavy oxidation(thirty years worth)from various brass parts on a boat. Most of the pieces can't be removed. I have tried quite a few of the standard products, Brasso, Flitz, Bar Keepers Friend, but the results are minimal.

Do you know of any products or methods that will speed up my work?

Seth Anderson
- Seattle, Washington, USA

(2006)

I, too, am having trouble removing oxidation from a pair of floor style candle holders. The only thing that I have found that will remove it (and this takes a lot of time) is fine steel wool [linked by editor to product info at Rockler]. Most people do not understand that oxidation is not like tarnish. Brasso [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], etc. will not remove oxidation. After using steel wool, I then use Brasso, etc. to polish. If you hear of something better, please publish on internet. I will be watching.

Betty T. Caton
- Knoxville, Tennessee, USA

Hi, folks. Although it's very easy on people, one of the most aggressive things for brass is vinegar + salt + flour. Don't use it on delicate stuff because it's aggressive, and plan on going over it with a commercial polish like Flitz [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] because it will leave brass rather raw and orange. Good luck.