When to use Stellite/Colomony and HVOF Tungsten Carbides?

(2001)

I have a general question. We have different finishing processes for metals for hardfacing, viz., Stellite or Colmonoy deposition and Tungsten carbide (HVOF) deposition. I have a question when do you employ either one of them? Can they be applied interchangeably or is there any technical issue that is of concern here?

Mahesha Udipi
- Houston, Texas

(2001)

I too would like to know the answer to Mahesha's question.

Larry Kelly
- Lexington Park, Maryland

(2001)

If you do not have any response, I suggest calling one of the HVOF job-shops, e.g. Cybershield in Dallas area or many others.

Mandar Sunthankar
- Fort Collins, Colorado

(2001)

Stellite is good for shock or impact load. I used to run a mechanical engineering shop. For rough turning where the cut is dis-continuous and tool gets pinishing impacts, I used to prefer Stellite. For steady cutting Carbides were superior.

Deval Yashawant
electroplating shop - Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA