23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Dielectric Layer over Au

(2001)

I have 500 um diameter Au surface patterned using photolithography technique. I need to put down a dielectric layer to protect that gold for the remaining fabrication. I am seeing delamination of PECVD oxide (1 um) from the Au surface with a thin layer of Ti as an adhesion problem. I was wondering if there is a way to eliminate this adhesion issue.

Chris
- Ithaca, New York

(2001)

Your problem may be more of stress in the oxide film than adhesion itself. Deposit a series of thinner films and see if peeling goes away. If it does, see if increase in PECVD process pressure could reduce the stress. I don't recall all the details but that may work. If stress is not the problem, metal surface preparation needs to be looked into.

Mandar Sunthankar
- Fort Collins, Colorado