23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Electroless Gold Soldering Problems

(2001)

Dear Friends:

Has anybody ever faced soldering problems on Printed circuit boards that have finishing electroless Au over Nickel? I have a strong problem by trying to solder on these PCBs produced 1 year ago. I identified that there is oxidation on the Nickel surface when I drop down a board with 4 BGAs and one of them Jumps up. We tried to HASL the boards we succeeded, but now I am afraid that we are facing the black nickel phenomenon and it is not possible at all to solder specifically small joints even with soldering iron and aggressive fluxes.

I would appreciate any help form anyone.

Spyros Palles
Intracom SA - Peania, Attica, Greece

(2001)

Two suggestions:

1. Are you using electroless Au or immersion Au? This actually becomes a thickness issue.

2. Have you checked the Au deposit porosity?

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida