23+ years of serious education, promoting Aloha,
& the most fun you can have in metal finishing smiley

Plating of Kovar Parts

(2001)

My question is: A kovar flat lid is stamped from strip material between 0.003 to 0.005 thick. There is an issue of particles coming off this part after it has been plated with electroless nickel. The particles are in the micron size and can be a problem should they drop on an exposed I.C chip. To correct this issue I need to find the root cause. The particles test to be the plating material how can I be assured that the plating is not flaking off on its own. I can work on the raw material should that be the root cause.

Walt Sacilowski
- Clearwater, Florida, USA

(2005)

Dear Mr. Walt

We regularly plate kovar with nickel for use in transmitting tubes in aqueous plating baths. Deposits are extremely adherent to base material even in harsh environments. If your problem is still there please let me know

GurIqbal
Pilani Electron Tubes India - Sangrur, Panjab, India