Student Project: Corrosion Protection of Iron

(2001)

Dear finishing.com

I am a yr 12 student from Australia, WA. I have been issued an assignment on the corrosion protection of iron, in which I have to find 5 methods to stop iron corrosion. I was wondering if you could answer my question?

Bradley E [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Perth, WA, Australia

(2001)

Painting and Galvanizing are at least two that I can think of right away...Good Luck!

Shailesh Sheth
- Cleveland, Ohio, USA

(2001)

Hi Bradley,

Apart from painting and plating, consider please:

a. oiling
b. placing the iron in an inert atmosphere, i.e., within a gas such as nitrogen and NOT oxygen which, with moisture, will cause the iron to revert to Fe203 or Fe304 which are the two natural oxidized states.
c. placing the iron in a vacuum, perhaps?
d. placing it in contact with a metal that is less noble so that preferentially the 'lower grade' metal will corrode ... you'll have to look up the galvanic series (I think that that's the right word)which shows gold etc at the very top and iron near but not at the bottom.

Now you've got 6 answers. This should get you to the top of the class, I hope.

Cheers!

(2001)

Bradley

Some other methods that are being done successfully to protect iron from rusting are:

Hope you get an "A".

Bill Hemp
tech svc. w/ chemical supplier - Grand Rapids, Michigan

Bradly

I am also from perth and I have been given a similar assignment as you. I have to find out ways of treating iron without creating an alloy.
I have found these methods
-Cathodic Protection
-Galvanising.

Good Luck Buddy

Ryan [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Perth, Western Australia, Australia

I found that
. paint
. grease
. wax it every few weeks
. oiling
. put the iron in a inert atmosphere I.E I'm nitrogen NOT oxygen because with moisture it would revert.
. spray in clear lacquer
. galvanizing
. cathodic protection

Anna M.
- Rotheham, England, UK